Re: Slow Inserts on 1 table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Youngblood
Subject Re: Slow Inserts on 1 table?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Aug 2, 2005, at 8:16 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:01:50AM -0500, Dan Armbrust wrote:

I shouldn't have to manually run Analyze to make the DB be capable of
handling inserts involving tables with foreign keys correctly.  My code
that is doing the inserts is a java application that works across
multiple DBS - MySQL, PostgreSQL, DB2, MS Access, Sybase, etc.

[etc, rant removed]

You don't _have_ to be rude.  This is a known limitation, and people
have suggested the usual workarounds.  This is an open source project --
if you think you can make it better, please by all means post a patch.

Not to fan the flames, so to speak, but I do have on question. If this is a known limitation, I'd expect the behavior to be consistent. Instead, he is saying that the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it runs fine, other times it slows down to a snail's pace.

So, does that mean the known problem is indeed intermittent, and not something that happens every time? Or, is this an issue that can be mostly eliminated with appropriate tuning?

I ask, because I may soon be facing similar problems, and forewarned is forearmed. I'd like to anticipate this and tune things accordingly before it becomes an issue.

Thanks,
Greg