Re: Cursor Issue?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From DracKewl
Subject Re: Cursor Issue??
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Roman for sticking with me on this!
For whatever reason I cannot load another langage, I think it has to do
with recompiling the program and installing all the options.  Not sure
though??  LANGUAGE plpgsql doesn't exist for me.

I still find this cursor limitation wacked.  I find it hard to believe
that nobody else is requiring this curosr funcionality.  Why else have
a cursor?
See the bottom from this link
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7/interactive/sql-fetch.htm  Even in
there is display of a teaser that it can be done.  Too bad there is no
example.

My objective is to look at each record one at at time from top to
bottom.  I need to take that information in variable form, and run it
through a routine that is in the cursor block, then the end result
needs to end up in another table.  There will be times where I will
also need to scroll forward and backward.

I do understand, even though I don't agree with PostgreSQl approach to
this, that my only alternative is to create a function.  But as you
know getting a function to work in the way I need it to will require
custom functions.  What a pain!