Re: Autovacuum in the backend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:09:47PM +1000, Neil Conway wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >One issue I do have to deal with right now is how many autovacuum
> >processes do we want to be running.  The current approach is to have one
> >autovacuum process.  Two possible options would be to have one per
> >database, and one per tablespace.  What do people think?
>
> Why do we need more than one pg_autovacuum process?

The only reason I considered it is because you can use the regular
catalog-management routines to handle the new pg_autovacuum system
catalog.  With a single process, we need to issue SQL queries.  This is
very ugly IMHO.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"Tiene valor aquel que admite que es un cobarde" (Fernandel)