Re: Autovacuum in the backend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Date
Re: Autovacuum in the backend
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Just my own two cents. First I am not knocking the work that has been
> on autovacuum. I am sure that it was a leap on its own to get it to
> work. However I will say that I just don't see the reason for it.

The major reasons for autovacuum as I see it are as follows:

* Reduces administrative overhead having to keep track of what tables
need to be vacuumed how often.
* Reduces the total amount of time the system spends vacuuming since it
only vacuums when needed.
* Keeps stats up-to-date automatically
* Eliminates newbie confusion
* Eliminates one of the criticisms that the public has against
PostgreSQL (justifed or not)

Also, as VACUUM improves, autovacuum will improve with it.