Re: uptime function to postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: uptime function to postmaster
Date
Re: uptime function to postmaster
Re: uptime function to postmaster
List pgsql-patches
Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>

> > I think we are best with just pg_startime.  If people want the
> > interval
> > they can subtract it from CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.  I have added Matthias's
> > version to the patch queue.
> >

> OK. But IIRC the Matthias implementation doesn't work in standalone
> mode. And talking about the 'interval', I think it's too ugly make
> this:
> select CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - pg_starttime();
>
> Isn't it more simple do this?
> select pg_uptime();

I think we should return intervals only when we can't return meaningful
timestamp values. I don't have any logic to back up that opinion, though.

> I think few people will use start_time and more people will use uptime
> that's why I propose the 'uptime' function.

We need to preceed our function names with pg_ for cases like this where
we are supplying pg-specific behavior.