Re: uptime function to postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Subject Re: uptime function to postmaster
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hi Bruce,

> I think we are best with just pg_startime.  If people want the
> interval
> they can subtract it from CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.  I have added Matthias's
> version to the patch queue.

OK. But IIRC the Matthias implementation doesn't work in standalone
mode. And talking about the 'interval', I think it's too ugly make
this:
select CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - pg_starttime();

Isn't it more simple do this?
select pg_uptime();

I think few people will use start_time and more people will use uptime
that's why I propose the 'uptime' function.

Talking abouts names, IMHO we need to go with uptime() and
start_time(). Why? That's because a system function and it's about
server. When we implement backend uptime, we can go with
connection_uptime() and connection_start_time().

Comments?

Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler[at]yahoo_com_br

http://br.download.yahoo.com/messenger/