Re: [HACKERS] Fix PID file location? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Fix PID file location?
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@surnet.cl> writes:
> > On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 07:40:17PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I really think we have only two choices: teach pg_ctl how to dig the
> >> data directory location out of postgresql.conf,
>
> > I don't think this is extremely hard, isn't it?
>
> One small problem is that I think the current definition allows the data
> directory to be specified relative to the original postmaster working
> directory.  Of course, that's not different from "-D ." on the
> postmaster command line, so possibly the answer is "if you want to use
> pg_ctl, don't do that".

I don't see any way to accurately find the data directory location.
Reading postgresql.conf is one way, but what if they set data_directory
on the command line using postmaster -o?  Is reading postgresql.conf
from pg_ctl without a parser really accurate?  Shame we can't attach and
do "SHOW data_directory" on a backend.