Re: psql backslash consistency - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql backslash consistency
Date
List pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@surnet.cl> writes:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 04:16:15PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> There seems to be a distinct lack of unanimity about that judgment ;-)

> Well, yes, _across Postgres hackers_.  But if we were to ask
> pgsql-general I have a feeling we would measure more weight on one side.

Yeah, but which side ;-) ?  I think the pg-general population would have
a very much higher fraction of people who have no user-defined functions
and therefore would see no value in \df not showing system functions.

If we put in a config variable, that at least lowers the stakes for the
losing side in the argument about what the default should be.  Without
that, I think there will be some serious flamewars ahead...

            regards, tom lane