Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> What I read in this thread is that the only truly missing feature is
> package variables (ie, session-local variables); is that an accurate
> statement?  If so, it would seem simplest to add such a feature to
> plpgsql and be done with it.  Several people already pointed out that
> most of the other PLs support that feature today.

Also initialization, namespacing, and security.   The ability to "package"
bunches of functions, and only allow their calling in the context of a
package, is quite valuable in installations which support 1,000's of
procedures.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus