Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> What I read in this thread is that the only truly missing feature is
>> package variables (ie, session-local variables); is that an accurate
>> statement?  If so, it would seem simplest to add such a feature to
>> plpgsql and be done with it.  Several people already pointed out that
>> most of the other PLs support that feature today.

> Also initialization, namespacing, and security.   The ability to "package"
> bunches of functions, and only allow their calling in the context of a
> package, is quite valuable in installations which support 1,000's of
> procedures.

This is exactly the sort of argumentation that got the last proposal
shot down ;-).  I see no reason that you can't do the namespacing and
security as well or better using the existing (and more standard) schema
feature.  If there's something there that's not covered, what is it?

(The initialization bit goes along with the variables, AFAICS.)