Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Yes, actually.  If you look at the discussion, this is what killed the 2001
> proposal; packages were proposed as orthagonal to schema which was not
> acceptable.

I think what actually killed that proposal was that it was not made
clear what it did that wouldn't be done as well (and in a more standard
fashion) by providing schemas.

What I read in this thread is that the only truly missing feature is
package variables (ie, session-local variables); is that an accurate
statement?  If so, it would seem simplest to add such a feature to
plpgsql and be done with it.  Several people already pointed out that
most of the other PLs support that feature today.