Re: HEAD \df doesn't show functions with no arguments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: HEAD \df doesn't show functions with no arguments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> > The problem appears to be that proargtypes[0] is now NULL instead
> > of 0.  Here's a simplified version of the \df query:
>
> >   SELECT proname
> >   FROM pg_catalog.pg_proc p
> >   WHERE p.proargtypes[0] <> 'pg_catalog.cstring'::pg_catalog.regtype
> >     AND p.proname ~ '^foo$';
>
> We could fix it by changing <> to IS DISTINCT FROM ... but I've never
> been very happy with the idea that \df tries to suppress I/O functions
> anyway.  How do you feel about removing the cstring test altogether?

I like the cstring test.  I don't think users want to see functions they
can't call from SQL, and they will ask about them if we show them.  Now,
if you want \dfS to show them and \df to not show them, that is OK with
me.

Pennsylvania19073