Re: High end server and storage for a PostgreSQL OLTP system - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: High end server and storage for a PostgreSQL OLTP system
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:41:32PM +0100, Cosimo Streppone wrote:
> 2) The goal is to make the db handle 100 tps (something like
>    100 users). What kind of server and storage should I provide?
>
>    The actual servers our application runs on normally have
>    2 Intel Xeon processors, 2-4 Gb RAM, RAID 0/1/5 SCSI
>    disk storage with hard drives @ 10,000 rpm

You might look at Opteron's, which theoretically have a higher data
bandwidth. If you're doing anything data intensive, like a sort in
memory, this could make a difference.

> 4) Is it correct to suppose that multiple RAID 1 arrays
>    can provide the fastest I/O ?
>    I usually reserve one RAID1 array to db data directory,
>    one RAID1 array to pg_xlog directory and one RAID1 array
>    for os and application needs.

RAID10 will be faster than RAID1. The key factor to a high performance
database is a high performance I/O system. If you look in the archives
you'll find people running postgresql on 30 and 40 drive arrays.