Release schedule plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Release schedule plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
In talking to people working on various items, I think we should plan
for a beta next week once we have completed all the major open 8.0
items.  Only the tablespace and win32 lost signals seem major.

And, once the beta has been tested for a week, we should start thinking
about an 8.0 release candidates.

Peter has is thinking of freezing error message strings next week so
others can start on translations, and we should start collecting port
reports after the next beta too.

                              PostgreSQL 8.0 Open Items                              =========================

Current version at http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgopenitems.

Changes
-------
* Win32o Fix shared memory on Win2k terminal server
  We might be able to just mark this as not supported.
o Handle "lost signals" on backend startup (eg. shutdown,  config file changes, etc);  signals are not possible on
startup (Magnus)

  The problem here is that the postmaster might send signals to a  child before the Win32 pipe is created to accept
signals. We don't have this problem on unix because we fork and inherit          the signal handlers.

* Tablespace (Partially completed by Tom)o Add new GUC default_tablespace to control object creation when  no explicit
TABLESPACEclause exists

  Remove default tablespace rules and use just the above.  Use the GUC variable in pg_dump.  TABLESPACE clause should
controllocation of implicit indexes in CREATE TABLE.

o Remove tablespace default for databases and schemas
  Place objects as specified by the TABLESPACE clause or  default_tablespace.  The database TABLESPACE clause controls
only system objects and not other objects created in the   database.

* adjust bgwriter defaults
* synchonize supported encodings and docs
* fix gettext support to src/port
* update release notes
* add external interfaces documentation section

Pennsylvania19073