Re: Using ALTER TABLESPACE in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Using ALTER TABLESPACE in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
TODO item removed:

* Allow database recovery where tablespaces can't be created
 When a pg_dump is restored, all tablespaces will attempt to be created in their original locations. If this fails, the
usermust be able to adjust the restore process.

Not done yet, but it will be with SET default_tablespace.

I don't think we need "adjust" but rather default to the default
tablespace is just fine, and they can pre-create tablespaces in
different locations to adjust the restore anyway.

Great!

Philip Warner wrote:
> At 06:19 AM 6/11/2004, Tom Lane wrote:
> >You had muttered something about wanting to add
> >a TOC entry field for this --- do you still want to do the work?
> >You can probably get it done faster than I could, but I dunno if you
> >have time at the moment.  I'd like to get it in over the weekend so
> >that we can put out a new beta next week.
>
> Time is at a serious premium for me at the moment (I have several projects
> all due about now); but I wrote a patch for this a few weeks back, so it
> should not be a lot of work (unless pg_dump has changed in the last couple
> of months).
>
> I will *try* to get it done by Monday morning your time, and will let you
> know if I am going to miss this deadline as soon as I know.
>

> >BTW, part of the backend changes was to stop emitting TABLESPACE
> >clauses in pg_get_indexdef() and pg_get_constraintdef() output,
> >so as of CVS tip pg_dump will in fact fail to restore index tablespaces
> >accurately.  I assume this is the backend behavior you want, but
> >holler if not.
>
> Excellent. I assume that anything that can have a tablespace (database,
> schema(?), table and index -- anything else?) should emit a 'set
> default_tablespace="ts"' before creation (and that this will affect
> auto-created indexes as appropriate, whatever that means).
>
> Thanks for all the work.

> Philip Warner                    |     __---_____
> Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd.   |----/       -  \
> (A.B.N. 75 008 659 498)          |          /(@)   ______---_