Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Of course not, but I still don't see your point. plPHP doesn't need
> PHP+PostgreSQL support. Nor does PHP+PostgreSQL conflict with using
> plPHP...
>
> PHP doesn't even need to be installed for plPHP to work... You just
> need the source tree for building.

I don't talk about manual build processes, I talk about (semi-)automatic
package builds.  The PHP package has a build dependency on PostgreSQL,
because it needs libpq.  So PostgreSQL needs to be built and installed
before PHP can be built.  But then, if PL/PHP were to be integrated
into PostgreSQL, PHP needs to be installed first, so the
PostgreSQL+PL/PHP build can get at the PHP headers files and whatever
else it needs.  So you can neither build PHP first nor build PostgreSQL
first.

So building PL/PHP doesn't need a PHP with PostgreSQL support.  But no
one is going to build two versions of PHP packages just so PostgreSQL
can build.  That is a mess we can happily avoid.