Re: threads stuff/UnixWare - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: threads stuff/UnixWare
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 12 May 2004, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> --On Wednesday, May 12, 2004 15:59:19 -0300 "Marc G. Fournier"
> <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:

> >> Bruce didn't want to muck ip all the .c programs in the distribution to
> >> do that.
> >
> > I'm confused now ... what .c programs would have to be mucked up if you
> > add -Kpthread to the Unixware specific Makefile?
> initdb, et al.
>
> See these comments in src/template/unixware:
> # Disabled because flags are required for all apps using libpq.
> # Waiting to see if other platforms need this too.  2004-03-22
> THREAD_SUPPORT=yes
> # verified UnixWare 7.1.4 2004-03-18
> STRERROR_THREADSAFE=yes
> GETPWUID_THREADSAFE=yes
> GETHOSTBYNAME_THREADSAFE=yes
> $
>
> I turned it back on to see if the new stuff had fixed it.

k, I just looked at the template/unixware file myself, and it looks to me
like -Kpthread is already defined, and included as part of THREAD_CPPFLAGS
... is THREAD_CPPFLAGS not honor'd in all of the various Makefile's (ie.
initdb?) ...

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but so far, the issue seems to be
that now that libpq uses pthread_* by default, Unixware requires -Kpthread
to be used when building all the various support programs that use libpq
... and -Kpthread is defined in template/unixware ... so I'm *really*
confused as to what is actually broken, except maybe the Makefile's
themselves ...

----