Re: tsearch2 and bytea - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: tsearch2 and bytea
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:32:07PM -0700, Gralewski Daniel wrote:

> Does tsearch2 support indexing on bytea column?
>
> I'll have a table where i'll put any kind of file:
> xml, txt, pdf, gif, jpg. And i would like textual
> search on it.

As long as you can come up with text for the files ... what use would be
indexing a PDF, which is mostly compressed information?  Or a JPEG file,
which is only a stream of bits?  You could of course write some
descriptive keywords for images, or extract the whole text from the PDF
with some tool, and index that.

"No hay ausente sin culpa ni presente sin disculpa" (Prov. francés)