tsearch2 and bytea

From
Gralewski Daniel
Date:
Hello all,

Does tsearch2 support indexing on bytea column?

I'll have a table where i'll put any kind of file:
xml, txt, pdf, gif, jpg. And i would like textual
search on it.

Is it possible?

thank you and regards

Daniel

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash

Re: tsearch2 and bytea

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:32:07PM -0700, Gralewski Daniel wrote:

> Does tsearch2 support indexing on bytea column?
>
> I'll have a table where i'll put any kind of file:
> xml, txt, pdf, gif, jpg. And i would like textual
> search on it.

As long as you can come up with text for the files ... what use would be
indexing a PDF, which is mostly compressed information?  Or a JPEG file,
which is only a stream of bits?  You could of course write some
descriptive keywords for images, or extract the whole text from the PDF
with some tool, and index that.

"No hay ausente sin culpa ni presente sin disculpa" (Prov. francés)