Re: Case sensitivity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Case sensitivity
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 01:02:55PM +0700, David Garamond wrote:

> I believe no. You can index on LOWER(f) or UPPER(f) but that still
> requires a query rewriting to WHERE LOWER(f) = .... You can also write
> INSERT triggers to convert values to upper case, but that still requires
> query rewriting if you're comparing with mixed-case values.

But you could do some tricks with rules (plus the indexes and
triggers you mentioned) in order to lower() or upper() the input, if
you happen to know where you're likely to have the problems.

It's certainly true, however, that from the point of view of keeping
your data clean, you want these steps handled before the data
actually gets into the database.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner