Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/02/2004 19:33 Derek Shaw wrote:
> I am working with a window-manufacturing firm (the real thing!).  One of
> the reasons we are about to choose one of the vertical-market
> applications is that they claim ODBC compliance, and "Using other ODBC
> compliant database engines should not present a problem but may require
> some additional testing..."  This is in stark contrast to all the other
> vendors who require MSSQL on the back end (or an AS400), and the usual
> windoziness about why you'd want to do anything else.
>
> When I asked about using PostgreSQL this is the reply I received:
> ----
> I discussed PostureSQL with Paul and his technical director sent me the
> following comment:
> /   PostgreSQL// is open source and so far they have not agreed on a blob
>   field properly we use blob fields for the item bitmap, old conservatory
>   data and meta files for graphics. An ODBC driver is available and
>   describes how to fudge a blob field but it says that it does not clean
>   them up properly when updating. I suggest moving to MySQL which
>   is also open source ??///
> They estimate about one day additional time to make necessary changes
> and to test for MySQL.  Let me know what you think.
> ----
> These folks develop using MSAccess and MSSQL. Can anyone shed any light
> on how serious this problem is, and whether it is ever likely to be
> resolved so that I could use PostgreSQL?

I wonder if they've got confused about the 2 ways in PostgreSQL can store
blobs. There is the older Large Object method and there is the newer bytea
data type. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/44.php could help them
understand which to use. Or they could ask on this list.

Perhaps you should also ask them them to comment on
http://sql-info.de/mysql. Do they believe a database which can silently
corrupt your data is a product worth recommending to a paying client?

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |