Starting the Server ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From pgmoscatt
Subject Starting the Server ?
Date
List pgsql-general
I have just installed PostGres on to my Mandrake 9.2 system.  I
installed using the RPMs on the MD install CDs.

I notice that when I start the PC the database server dosen't start
during boot even though there is a postgres file in '/etc/rc.d/init.d'
which I would have thought would have started the server automatically.

To start the server I type:

    su
    su postgres
    postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

I have to be logged in as 'postgres' and not my normal user name to
start.

What do I need to do to get things back on track and start during boot ?

Pete