Re: application developers list?? or report engine using postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: application developers list?? or report engine using postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:08:23PM +1100, Klint Gore wrote:
> Does anyone know of a mailing list for application developers using
> postgres? It'd probably be more relevant than pgsql-general for my
> question.

I'd be interested in such a thing.

> Failing that, what do people use to generate reports with a postgres
> back end?  I have a requirement to produce a reporting daemon on linux
> that doesn't require X windows (has to render the report and write it
> back to a blob).  I've been down a couple of paths that ended with
> unusable/unsuitable products.

I've tried, I think, all the non-java open-source report generators,
the promising looking java ones and several of the commercial generators.

None of them were particularly inspiring - adequate, but not really
good enough for me to want to use them in production.

At the moment I'm using a home-built crawling perl monstrosity to
generate reports. It's OK for my application, but painfully non
general purpose, and tedious to add reports for.

(Next on my todo list is to put together a general purpose report
 generator - probably Qt based, XML input, text + graphs output, HTML
 and (maybe) PDF output.)

Depending on your needs - the format you want the output in and the
content you want, primarily - you may want to look at

http://openreport.org/
http://big.faceless.org/
http://rlib.sicompos.com/
http://www.jfree.org/