Re: Nested transaction - I am a bank ?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: Nested transaction - I am a bank ??
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14/01/2004 00:17 Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Thapliyal, Deepak wrote:
>
> > Thx Nigel..
> >
> > Also can you kindly advice how to turn autocommit to off
>
> Probably:
>
> SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF;
>
> although I'm not sure that is still there in 7.4 and there was a lot of
> discussion on it's 'brokeness' I believe. I'm sure someone else will
> correct me
> if I'm wrong. I don't actually know as I've never used that feature, I
> have
> always used explicit transaction starts if I have wanted multistatement
> transactions, and I can't remember the details of the discussion now. A
> search
> of the list archives should yield a collection of posts on this subject.

I think you're right about "SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF" being removed from 7.4.
In any case, what you want to is use transactions. I think the confusion
occurs because in some (many?) client-side languages you inititiate a
transaction by setting auto-commit to off (JDBC and ODBC do this) in the
client-side driver. In the case of the PostgreSQL JDBC driver, this causes
a BEGIN command to be sent to the server. I would imagine ODBC does the
same.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas