Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Uwe C. Schroeder
Subject Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
Date
List pgsql-general

Although you certainly have a point that a lot of companies rely on
"certification" in the one or other way, you'd have to admit that probably
80% of "certified" people have no clue what they are talking about.
I met so many certified people where you could give them a problem and they
have no idea of how to solve it.
IMHO a certification is a fabulous way to generate money flow for the company
offering the certification, it's not a way to proof skills. What most
certifications lack is problem solving. The moment you can just learn it and
take the test the certification is complete nonsense.
Microsoft started this "certification" thing just to generate more income -
there are so many MSCE's that normally a spreading virus shouldn't spread -
since, you guessed it, a decent administrator would have applied patches,
checked for threads, have a decent firewall etc. etc.
I'm not completely against certification, however it should be real education
in the first place. There are only few certifications out there that really
test skills and not book knowledge.
As it comes to postgresql - it's a pretty usual rdbms. No fundamentally big
difference to oracle and similar systems. If you can handle oracle you
shouldn't have a problem with postgresql. The issues you'll certainly
encounter are usually easy to figure out via the community or the techdocs.

Sure I can't change the system, but companies should start to change their way
of operating. Most certifications (and even academic degrees) simply proof
that you could acquire a certain amount of theoretical knowledge in a certain
amount of time. It doesn't proof that you can actually apply that knowledge
to real world situations. And if you look around in companies - large or
small - you see the same amount of bad decisions over and over again.

- From that experience I supprot the idea of making postgresql more public, but
don't start a certification that basically asks for the contents of the 15
year old SQL book catching dust on some shelf.
I agree that more and better documentation in a more "business" adequate way
should be published.

Just to do a little "flame" thing: If you learn MySQL you'll get about 10% of
what postgresql can do - better head for a oracle certification.

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 11:09 pm, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Bryan Encina wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:06:05 -0800
> > From: Bryan Encina <bryan.encina@valleypres.org>
> > To: 'Bruce Momjian' <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
> > Cc: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
> > Subject: Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
> >
> > > I think that is about the author of the web site, and is
> > > being removed.
> > >
> > > --
> > >   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
> >
> > Since the last survey on postgresql.org had almost 80% of those surveyed
> > wanting a standard worldwide PostgreSQL training course (and over 50%
> > being strongly yes), are there any forseeable future plans for standard
> > certification/training?
> >
> > Bryan
>
> I think that, in part, this goes to issues like I mentioned to someone,
> off-list, about a response to a query that I raised on the GENERAL list,
> about the "Teach Yourself PostgreSQL In 21 Days" book, which is
> advertised on the Internet, but which does not exist.
>
> The absence of that book, is unfortunate, as, from what I have seen of
> the Table of Contents of the MySQL equivalent, which I mention below,
> the MySQL book appears to be a reasonably good, structured, way to learn
> MySQL, and, an equivalent book for PostgreSQL; a similarly structured
> book, with the equivalent exercises, would, I believe, be a good way to
> learn PostgreSQL, in a structured way.
>
> A while ago, on (I believe) the GENERAL list, a discussion occurred
> about PostgreSQL certification, in which discussion, PostgreSQL
> certification was apparently knocked on the head. I found the
> discussion, by searching, using google, for "PostgreSQL certification".
>
> As I had said to the person with whom I corresponded off-list, with the
> knowledge that I have of database development, what I am intending to
> do, as the only apparent option, in all of the circumstances, is to
> obtain the "Teach Yourself MySQL In 21 Days" book, which does exist,
> work through it, then sit the MySQL certifications, which exist (MySQL 4
> Core Certification and MySQL 4 Certified Professional), and then, on
> passing those, transfer the acquired skills and knowledge, to
> PostgreSQL, by working through the book, as much as possible, using
> PostgreSQL, and, working through available PostgreSQL books; thus,
> obtaining open source database development skills and certification with
> MySQL, and, while not formalised or certified, PostgreSQL skills.
>
> It is fairly convoluted, but appears to be the only way of getting
> PostgreSQL skills in a structured way, and, (kind of) related
> certification.
>
> From my understanding, PostgreSQL is a more powerful and more ANSI-SQL
> standard-compliant DBMS, than MySQL, and, than major commercial DBMS's,
> but PostgreSQL apparently lacks formal assessment and certification of
> skills in the same way that MySQL has, thus making training and
> certification for PostgreSQL, lacking in comparison.

> [...]

- --
    UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell:   +1 650 302 2405        United States
Fax:    +1 650 872 2417