Re: [pgsql-www] Release cycle length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Release cycle length
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:42:31AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> (Oddly enough, my problem in doing more testing myself is external to
> PostgreSQL; most of our apps are PHP apps and you can't compile PHP against
> two different versions of PostgreSQL on the same server.   Maybe with User
> Mode Linux I'll be able to do more testing now.)

I'm not sure UML would help you here.  I think you'd be better trying to
run Apache in a chrooted environment, PHP and PostgreSQL included.  You
don't need another kernel, but another set of libraries.

BTW, I think UMLSIM (umlsim.sf.net) could help to play the
"unplug-the-server" game.  In theory you could rewrite the block
subsystem to "fail", simulating a real disk failure and possible a
system shutdown.  I don't have time to do it myself right now however ...

"Find a bug in a program, and fix it, and the program will work today.
Show the program how to find and fix a bug, and the program
will work forever" (Oliver Silfridge)