Re: Sorting Problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Sorting Problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 11:33:31AM -0700, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> Perhaps the only way to get around the cache problem is to use an
> ISO-8859-x 8bit character set, but to have per table, or per column
> encoding attributes. And of course, ways to access what those are, in the
> Postgres API. Good for speed, but not for easy storing of multiple
> language/encodings per column/table.

Well, each column will have to have a native encoding/collation order. This
is the one stored on disk and the one used for indexes. Remember, if your
index is collated by en_US and your query asks for nl_NL, you can't use your
query for sorting the result. I guess you could have the same column indexed
twice with the different collation orders.
> "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good
> men to do nothing." - Edmond Burke
> "The penalty good people pay for not being interested in politics is to be
> governed by people worse than themselves." - Plato

Attachment