Re: Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 17:58, Gianni Mariani wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:59, Dustin Sallings wrote:
> >

> >I *like* the fact that my company has a support contract with Oracle
> >on our production databases.
> >DBMSs are extremely complicated beasts, and even though I am expert,
> >and can extract the db from most stack dump conditions, there *are*
> >errors that are beyond my knowledge, but can be quickly solved by
> >someone who lives and breathes Rdb internals.
> >
> That's Tom Lane right ?  :-)

Well, no.  Oracle purchased Rdb/VMS from DEC back in 1994.  (A
surprising number of former DEC engineers are still w/ Oracle.
Of course, the building that O built in a nice wooded area of Nashua
is really nice, and just a tree-lined walk to the OpenVMS engineering
offices, and they all have families, so I'm not surprised they've
stayed.)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |