Re: 7.4Beta1 "failed to create socket: Address family not - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 7.4Beta1 "failed to create socket: Address family not
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> > There was a big discussion over whether we should require IPv6 to be
> > enabled individually, and then throw a hard error if IPv6 fails, but at
> > this stage, it seemed best to most to just try IPv6 and soft-fail, while
> > throwing a message in the server logs.
>
> The real problem is perhaps that the message gives no hint that it's
> talking about being unable to establish an IPv6 socket.  With that hint,
> perhaps people would realize that it's not a problem.

Yes, that was my point, that in the initial message wording I had
mentioned IPv6, and the fact that it wasn't enabled in the kernel.

Not sure who took it out, but it gone.  The original message was:

  elog(LOG, "IPv6 support disabled --- perhaps the kernel does not support IPv6");