Re: libpq_r - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: libpq_r
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Now I see what you are saying, that _REENTRANT just makes it reentrant,
>
> _REENTRANT only makes additional functions visible in the header files, it
> doesn't change any functions to behave differently.  (This is not hard to
> imagine, because the lack of reentrancy of most functions lies in the
> public interface, and you can't change that transparently.)
>
> > and doesn't have a downside in terms of performance.
>
> It follows from the above that this is irrelevant.
>
> > However, notice the flags needed under Linux:
> >
> >     THREAD_CFLAGS="-D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS"
>
> Those flags are bogus.  You don't need any flags under Linux.

Is that true for all versions of Linux?  Don't we need the first one so
we compile cleanly.

Also, the remaining to linux settings:
THREAD_LIBS="-lpthread"NEED_REENTRANT_FUNC_NAMES=yes

I assume -lpthread does have an effect on the library, or does it?

Pennsylvania19073