Re: Properties dialogue/pane - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Brage Førland
Subject Re: Properties dialogue/pane
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 07:05:16PM +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Brage Førland wrote:
>
> >The columns belonging to a foreign key are named 'Child columns' in the
> >properties pane. Any reason they are not just called 'Columns'?
> >
> and the property dialog calls it "local column"....
> When working with design tools, I always wondered which column is on
> which side of the reference. I want the namings to clearly indicate
> this, so how should we name that beast?

Quoting the PostgreSQL manual:

  [...]
  We say that in this situation the orders table is the referencing table
  and the products table is the referenced table. Similarly, there are
  referencing and referenced columns.

However, I should think it would suffice to call the 'local columns' just
columns and the referenced columns, well, 'referenced columns' in most
situations.