Re: Properties dialogue/pane - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Properties dialogue/pane
Date
Re: Properties dialogue/pane  (Brage Førland <brage@zoo.uib.no>)
List pgadmin-hackers
Brage Førland wrote:

>Just som minor comments on the english messages in the properties
>dialogue/pane:
>
>The columns belonging to a foreign key are named 'Child columns' in the
>properties pane. Any reason they are not just called 'Columns'?

and the property dialog calls it "local column"....
When working with design tools, I always wondered which column is on
which side of the reference. I want the namings to clearly indicate
this, so how should we name that beast?

>The 'Create operator' dialogue has a tab with the rather awkward name
>'Properties 2'. Wouldn't something more describing, like 'Advanced
>properties', be better?

It's not advanced, just continuing from "Properties", but "Properties 2"
is ugly, I admit. Maybe "Implementation"?

>There are some inconsistencies between the terminology in the properties
>dialogue and properties pane for some of the selections:
>
>  The 'Initially deferred' deferred property of a constraint is called
>  'Deferred' in the properties dialogue, but 'Initially' in the properties
>  pane.

It's "Initially: Deferred" or "Initially: Immediate", and a checkbox
"Deferred Yes/No" in properties. I think this is ok.

>  Index: Index type is called 'Strategy' in the dialogue, but 'Index type'
>  in the pane.

->"Access method"

>  Aggregates: Input data type is called 'Base type' in the dialogue, but
>  'Input type' in the pane.

pgsql doc uses both expressions. "Input type" is more intuitive, I believe.

>  Function and trigger functions: Return type/returns.

-> Return type

>  Operators: Restrict proc/Restrict function, Join proc/join function,
>  Supports hash/Hash joins?, Procedure/Operator function.

-> function

>  Sequence: Current value/Last value.

-> Current value

>Also, the use of caps is inconsistent between the properties dialogue and
>properties pane. In general, all words are capitalized in the properties
>pane, but not in the properties dialogues.

The Evolution Of The English Language, as seen from germany... :-)

Next commit will have even better english :-)

Regards,
Andreas