Re: please helpme ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: please helpme ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Friday 30 May 2003 5:52 am, andhie lala wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I'am a new user in postgresql, i want to ask about :
>
> 1. The one who is intended with STORED PROCEDURE,
>    how its implement and what its surplus.
>    Version POSTGRESQL that how much possess STRORED PROCEDURE.

All PostgreSQL versions for some years now have support for user-defined
functions, and 7.3 provides for set-returning functions in plpgsql.

> 2. In when I make the function as follows:
>
>    CREATE FUNCTION forward(CHAR(10))
>    RETURNS CHAR(10), CHAR(30)
>    AS 'select no_id, name FROM address where no_id=$1;'
>    Language 'sql';
>
>    To step forward orders the error ...
>    Which wants I asked, how make a function that can step forward
> RETURNS More than a column
>    (I want to show 2 columns i.e. no_id and Name) ?

In your case you want to do somethine like:

CREATE TYPE id_name_type AS (col_id CHAR(10), col_name CHAR(30));
CREATE FUNCTION forward(CHAR(10)) RETURNS SETOF id_name_type AS

This should do it for you. There are more examples in Section II, Chapter 9 of
the Programmer's Guide.

Note that you might want to consider the use of varchar() rather than char()
types - char() is space padded and there is no speed impact on PG.

--  Richard Huxton