Can I view a RECORD returned from a PL/pgSQL function in psql? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Charles Christiansen
Subject Can I view a RECORD returned from a PL/pgSQL function in psql?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I can return a record from
a PL/pgSQL function.  I created this function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION LOGIN_TEST(VARCHAR,VARCHAR)
RETURNS RECORD

and got no errors, so it looks like I am allowed to
create the function alright.  When I try to execute
this function from psql like this:

select LOGIN_TEST(myuser,mypass);

I get a message saying "ERROR:  Cannot display a value
of type RECORD".  Is there any tool available that
will let me view a RECORD returned from a PL/pgSQL
function?

Also, is it possible to return multiple values from a
PL/pgSQL function, something like this:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION LOGIN_TEST(VARCHAR,VARCHAR)
RETURNS VARCHAR,VARCHAR,INTEGER

Thanks for any help or pointers to any parts of TFM I
should read to figure this out on my own :).

Chuck.