Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I agree, things aren't good when you look at the book shelf and app
> support, but fortunately these are things that are shaded more by the
> state of things 1-3 years ago rather than currently.  Certainly, we
> would have seen an even worse ratio than 1:4 if we had looked last year
> --- we aren't on parity yet, but I think we are getting there.

What's missing are the "FOO Applications With PostgreSQL" sorts of
books, where (member FOO '(|Web| |PHP| |Perl| |Python| |Application Frameworks|))

The one PostgreSQL book that _does_ have some of this is the O'Reilly
one, where I was disappointed to see how much of the book was devoted to
a framework I /wasn't/ planning to use.

Right at the moment is probably /not/ a good time to be pushing books on
potentially-obscure application areas; my ex-publisher (Wrox) just
became an ex-publisher as a result of trying too hard to too quickly
hawk too many books in obscure application areas.

My suspicion is that this, along with very soft book sales throughout
the publishing industry, is likely to make "obscure application area"
books a tough sell in the short term.  Like it or not, "PostgreSQL +
FOO" is not going to be the easiest sell, particularly in the absence of
the much denigrated "PostgreSQL Marketing Cabal."
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html