Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I agree, things aren't good when you look at the book shelf and app
support, but fortunately these are things that are shaded more by the
state of things 1-3 years ago rather than currently.  Certainly, we
would have seen an even worse ratio than 1:4 if we had looked last year
--- we aren't on parity yet, but I think we are getting there.

Larry Rosenman wrote:

> --On Monday, April 14, 2003 19:54:27 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> wrote:

> >> Several people have asked if we are losing momentum.
> >
> > I don't think we are losing momentum considering the project in
> > isolation --- things seem to be moving as well as they ever have,
> > if not better.
> >
> > But I do sometimes worry that we are losing the mindshare war.
> > We might be growing fine, but if we're growing slower than MySQL is,
> > we've got a problem.  I was just in the local Barnes & Noble store
> > yesterday, and could not help but notice how many books had "MySQL" in
> > the title.  I didn't notice a single Postgres title (though I did not
> > look hard, since I was just passing through the computer area).
> I was in the Local MicroCenter, and found 3 PG titles, in addition to
> Bruce's.
>
> This is MUCH better than a year ago, when there were NONE.
>
> Agreed, that MySQL, has a bigger shelf space.
>
> I did all 3 authors a favor and bought copies.
>
> LER
>

> --
> Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
> Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
> US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749

Pennsylvania19073