Re: pgsql password when FreeBSD boots -- what's usual? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: pgsql password when FreeBSD boots -- what's usual?
Date
List pgsql-general
> In my application, I do the following before saying "ok db is up"
>
> 1- Look for the PID, that tells me postmaster at least is a process and
> has an ID
> 2- Check /proc/pid

/proc is a Linux-ism and can't be depended on.

> 3- Connect to template-1

You can't do this if you don't trust local or have some
non-interactive auth method.

> 4- Connect to MyDatabase
> 5- Query something,

I wonder if template1 could be setup as a read-only database, which'd
then make this quasi-feasible (provided there aren't any stored procs
or functions that could cause any harm to the local system).  -sc

> That tells me that all parts are working....
>
> By the way, does the '-w' on start gives up in 60 seconds or
> indefinitely blocks...

Should give up in 60sec according to the docs, though I'm circumspect
of this and haven't ever checked to see if it really does (ctrl+c is
my friend).  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden