Re: pgsql password when FreeBSD boots -- what's usual? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: pgsql password when FreeBSD boots -- what's usual?
Date
List pgsql-general
> > Any chance the PID filename could be hard linked to the format:
> > postmaster-%d.pid where %d is the start time of the postmaster?
>
> And then how does any program except the postmaster know which .pid
> file is the active one?  There's also the little problem that this
> defeats the use of the .pid file as a data-directory lock file.

PostgreSQL writes out postmaster.pid in the data directory then
link()'s it to postmaster-%d.pid.  I don't see where the problem is in
that.  pg_ctl could be rewritten in C and read the startup time out of
a semaphore, but I don't know how easy it would be to get working on
boxen with multiple copies of postgres running.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden