Re: Newbie: problem Connecting to Server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc Drouin
Subject Re: Newbie: problem Connecting to Server
Date
List pgsql-general

I sorta had the same problem using pgAccess.  The way to correct my problem was to start the postmaster using the TCP/IP options.

I now use the following to start postmaster:

pg_ctl start -D /path to data -o -i

the -i option enables 'listening' on TCP ports.

From a beginner to a beginner

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Ferindo
Middleton Jr
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 8:22 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Newbie: problem Connecting to Server

I'm running Redhat Linux 8. I have registration to the Redhat Network so
I'm probably running the latest version of postgre sql available. I also
have Redhat Databse v2.1 installed, but whenever I try to start a session,
I get the following error message:

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Please help me configure my system so that I can connect and begin to use
postgresql.