Re: Postgresql 7.3.2 Crash - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Postgresql 7.3.2 Crash
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Adrian Pop wrote:

> I have a postgresql 7.3.2 crash.
> Below you have the details.

Okay, I think I've localized the cause (but not a fix).

>     name_id            bigint    not null default 0,

I think the problem occurs with of the hack (mentioned in the last mail)
because the default expression is of a different type.  I think it occurs
specifically because the default expression is of a by value type and the
real type is by reference, but I haven't gone through enough tests to be
sure (it works if I make the default a bigint, a timestamp column with a
timestamptz expression works but an abstime doesn't)

Short term workaround is to make the default expression of the same type
as the column rather than merely something that can be converted to
that type.