Re: 32/64-bit transaction IDs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed L.
Subject Re: 32/64-bit transaction IDs?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday March 21 2003 2:51, you wrote:
> Ed Loehr <ed@LoehrTech.com> writes:
> > A 64-bit serial ID number would suffice.  I could spend a little time
> > on that.  Any starter hints on files/functions/structure of such an
> > addition? Something akin to GetTransactionId()?
>
> You'd have to capture the WAL "recptr" returned to
> RecordTransactionCommit by XLogInsert.  What you do with it afterwards,
> I have no idea.

Well, I'm trying to capture a 64-bit psuedo-transaction ID, just like the
WAL record number, but to do it within a C trigger so I can queue it into
another table and have all-or-none semantics.  Am I correct in assuming the
XLogInsert() call is made after the transaction is guaranteed to completed?
If so, wouldn't this be beyond the triggered function's reach?

Ed