Re: 32/64-bit transaction IDs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 32/64-bit transaction IDs?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> On Friday March 21 2003 2:51, you wrote:
>> You'd have to capture the WAL "recptr" returned to
>> RecordTransactionCommit by XLogInsert.  What you do with it afterwards,
>> I have no idea.

> Well, I'm trying to capture a 64-bit psuedo-transaction ID, just like the
> WAL record number, but to do it within a C trigger so I can queue it into
> another table and have all-or-none semantics.  Am I correct in assuming the
> XLogInsert() call is made after the transaction is guaranteed to completed?
> If so, wouldn't this be beyond the triggered function's reach?

It's certainly out of reach of anything executed within the transaction,
since by definition the commit record is only written after the
transaction is done.  It seems to me to be a contradiction in terms to
expect within-transaction actions to have any information about commit
order of their transaction.

            regards, tom lane