Re: How to make sequence skip existing key in table? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: How to make sequence skip existing key in table?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:01:34 -0800, Raymond Pau <rpau@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi List,

Please don't start new threads by replying to other messages on the list.
This screws up threading of messages, which is useful for following specific
discussions.

> I am using sequence to generate to a list of unique
> key id that will be used as the primary key for some
> tables.
>
> My question is when the sequence wraps over to the
> minimum value(1), how can I ensure that the next id is
> not in the tables?

My suggestion is to use the bigserial type. This uses bigint as the underlying
type and you are not likely to roll over a 64 bit integer unless you are
wasting a lot of serial values for each one you actually use.