Re: " Adding missing FROM-clause entry for table .... " problem. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: " Adding missing FROM-clause entry for table .... " problem.
Date
List pgsql-sql

> Christoph Haller wrote:
> <cut>
> > is not valid SQL syntax. What will actually happen (this is a
PostgreSQL
> > extension to the standard) is that an implicit table
> > reference is added to the FROM clause, so the query is processed as
if
> > it were written as
> I think this extension should be removed. I found all "Adding missing
> FROM..." were just results of mistake. Does anyone use this feature?
> What does other Postgres users think about it?

No, I do not use the feature.
And I agree it's prone to mistakes.
But I think mentioning it within the documentation and sending a NOTICE:
is enough.
What about side-effects on WHERE-clauses using a second table as
reference?
AFAIK, statements like

DELETE FROM t1 where t1.id = t2.id ;

are legal. Could the parser still work on this, if the feature is
removed?

Regards, Christoph