Re: Ran out of connections - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Roberto Mello
Subject Re: Ran out of connections
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 03:08:35PM -0700, Mike Diehl wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Twice this week, I've come to work to find my Postgres server out of
> connections... effectively freezing my web server.
>
> Today, before I rebooted the entire system, I did a ps -auxw and kept the
> file to study.  I didn't find too many clients running.  But I did find a
> whole LOT of postgres processes running, idle.  BTW, one of the postgres
> processes was doing a vacuum analyze.  I'm running 7.2.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this?  The out put of the ps command can be
> seen at http://dominion.dyndns.org/~mdiehl/ps.txt

Are you using PHP by chance? I've seen this behavior under Apache+PHP
before. My "fix" (workaround rather) was to disable persistent
connections.

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +