Ran out of connections - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mike Diehl
Subject Ran out of connections
Date
Re: Ran out of connections  (Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi all.

Twice this week, I've come to work to find my Postgres server out of
connections... effectively freezing my web server.

Today, before I rebooted the entire system, I did a ps -auxw and kept the
file to study.  I didn't find too many clients running.  But I did find a
whole LOT of postgres processes running, idle.  BTW, one of the postgres
processes was doing a vacuum analyze.  I'm running 7.2.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?  The out put of the ps command can be
seen at http://dominion.dyndns.org/~mdiehl/ps.txt

Thanx in advance,
--
Mike Diehl