Re: Bad timestamp external representation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Worke
Subject Re: Bad timestamp external representation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 28 November 2002 8:35 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jim Worke <jimworke@inbox.lv> writes:
> > I'm using pg_dump from 7.1 to 7.2.  When in postgresql, I run "select
> > current_timestamp;" and it came out:
> >           timestamptz
> > --------------------------------
> >  27/11/2002 21:40:46.602827 SGT
> > (1 row)
> >
> > This is due to running "export PGDATESTYLE='european,sql' before
> > postmaster. So, I guess SGT is being recognised.
>
> Depressingly enough, the appearance of SGT in a displayed timestamp
> doesn't necessarily mean we'll accept it on input :-(.
>
> IIRC, what you see in the displayed output is whatever the system
> reports as its local timezone name, but what can be recognized on input
> is what's listed in the table in src/backend/utils/adt/datetime.c.
> And there's only a commented-out entry for SGT --- apparently Thomas
> either couldn't find a definition for it, or found multiple conflicting
> definitions.
>
> What do you think SGT is?
>
> As far as getting your dump to work is concerned, I'd suggest setting
>     export PGTZ=GMT
> before running pg_dump; that should persuade it to dump everything in
> GMT.
>
>             regards, tom lane

I believe SGT is for Singapore time, no?  Anyway, that aside, I've
successfully migrated the data using your method, i.e. using export PGTZ=GMT.

The displayed time is now correct, just that it displays the SGT (in 7.2).
So, does SGT being recognised then?  For example, in the dump is:

22/01/2002 12:02:16.00 GMT

and in the database is (using select statement):

22/01/2002 20:02:16.00 SGT

Correct me if I'm wrong: postgresql doesn't know about SGT.  When my dump in
GMT is imported and displayed, it will be displayed using the default
system's timezone, which would be SGT?  Is that correct?  If not, where can I
read about this?

Thank you