Why an array in pg_group? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Reinoud van Leeuwen
Subject Why an array in pg_group?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Is there any reason why the grolist field in the table pg_group is
implemented as an array and not as a separate table?

According to the documentation:

<quote source="Postgresql 7.2 User Manual, chapter 6 near the end">
Arrays are not sets; using arrays in the manner described in the previous
paragraph is often a sign of database misdesign.
</quote>

I have trouble implementing a way to easily check whether a user is part
of a group. (I use Apache::AuthDBI to implement authentication and wanted
to make a view with columns username, userid , groupname. And installing
the contrib/array give's me a postgresql that is different from all the
others :-(

"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud