Re: Why an array in pg_group? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Why an array in pg_group?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Reinoud van Leeuwen kirjutas K, 20.11.2002 kell 17:03:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any reason why the grolist field in the table pg_group is
> implemented as an array and not as a separate table?

most likely for performance reasons.

> According to the documentation:
>
> <quote source="Postgresql 7.2 User Manual, chapter 6 near the end">
> Arrays are not sets; using arrays in the manner described in the previous
> paragraph is often a sign of database misdesign.
> </quote>
>
> I have trouble implementing a way to easily check whether a user is part
> of a group. (I use Apache::AuthDBI to implement authentication and wanted
> to make a view with columns username, userid , groupname. And installing
> the contrib/array give's me a postgresql that is different from all the
> others :-(

not from those who also have installed contrib/array ;)

but you should actually be using contrib/intagg (and perhaps contrib
intarray) for performance reasons ;)

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>