Re: PG Collaborative structure is ready for initial - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: PG Collaborative structure is ready for initial
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Monday 11 Nov 2002 1:58 pm, Justin Clift wrote:
> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Had a shot at it for disk tuning guide. Looks good to me. Let's bring it
> > in production but we need to have authentication in place otherwise
> > people will fill it with junk( in worst case that is..)
>
> The present dilemma is that the PostgreSQL users database that we
> presently use for registering people on the Techdocs site isn't yet tied
> to the Zope authentication scheme.
>
> It's easy to manually create users in Zope and restrict the editing or
> creation of pages to them, but our best long term situation is to allow
> the people who have already registered to make use of that.

What about people who've subscribed/posted to pgsql-advocacy/docs? All a new
user would need to do is post an "I intend to write X" message - email gets
slurped and account created. Gives somewhere to discuss new docs, point out
existing stuff etc.

> > Can we have moderation there for guests? We could notify back user that
> > changes are accepted if he/she cares to leave an e-mail address there.
> > Then we would have few truseted users and always welcome guests..;-)
>
> A feature that needs to be added is the ability for people to
> "subscribe" to a page, so that whenever the page is changed it gets
> emailed out to them.  This is already possible, but will take about an
> hour or so to read through the docs (have the right ones already marked)
> then setup.  It's important to get done before the new infrastructure is
> announced to the general public.

Two things I noted when I was thinking about this the other day:

1. A "diff" function for two versions of the same document
2. Some way of identifying docs that need updating when 7.3, 7.4, 8.0 come
out.

> As for a moderation/review process... preferably not.  Am trying to
> implement a way of doing things that makes things as easy as possible,
> and in the PostgreSQL Community that will probably work.  If however
> page vandals routinely turn up we'll have to rethink it.

Something fairly lightweight certainly.

--
  Richard Huxton